I realized this morning what counts are the little things. This morning Preston and I got ready to get going for the day and as we headed down stairs he wanted his "Mimi", it's a fleece blanket my mother gave him when he was baby. This is one of a couple "Mimi's" he's adopted or added to his collection. Just like the stuff animal characters which my wife and I call his "gang".
This morning, I told him, you have to leave your "Mimi" here at the house. He replied, "No, I want my Mimi". I already had my briefcase, lunch bag, his backpack for school so i was preventing one more thing to carry out to the car. Oh, he had his "Yellow Bear" with him too. So, I told him, I will carry your "Mimi". As I was locking the door I threw his "Mimi" on the couch. Then we headed to the car and he asked... "Where's my Mimi", I said, you have Yellow Bear, "Dad, I want my "Mimi". I realized... that moment in time, he wanted his "Mimi" and if this was going to make him happy... I was going to let him take his "Mimi". I gave him his "Mimi" and he said..."Mimiiiiii". I knew that made his morning and it made mine to see him cover himself with it.
I have to remember...it's those little things!
This morning, I told him, you have to leave your "Mimi" here at the house. He replied, "No, I want my Mimi". I already had my briefcase, lunch bag, his backpack for school so i was preventing one more thing to carry out to the car. Oh, he had his "Yellow Bear" with him too. So, I told him, I will carry your "Mimi". As I was locking the door I threw his "Mimi" on the couch. Then we headed to the car and he asked... "Where's my Mimi", I said, you have Yellow Bear, "Dad, I want my "Mimi". I realized... that moment in time, he wanted his "Mimi" and if this was going to make him happy... I was going to let him take his "Mimi". I gave him his "Mimi" and he said..."Mimiiiiii". I knew that made his morning and it made mine to see him cover himself with it.
I have to remember...it's those little things!
(The "Mimi" shown in the picture July 2007 on a flight to El Paso for the 4th of July)
No comments:
Post a Comment